Tuesday 24 June 2008

I should stay in more.

Not very often I find myself in a record store these days but I popped into HMV today to get the new Goldfrapp single 'Caravan Girl' only to find that it's actually released next week. Arse. Having made the trip and noticing there was a sale on I took a wander 'round the store thinking I might get a Chris Rock or George Carlin DVD when I noticed this;


It's not really all that apparent at first glance but 99% of the films in this section are made by / star black people. What purpose does this section serve? Seriously. I find it hard to believe that people go into HMV and ask the staff "Excuse me where do you keep the black movies please?" so why does this section exist? Not doubt it was created with the best of intentions but I thought we were all supposed to be living in a multi-racial society? I can't help but think that it's the same mindset that has produced the MOBOs and personally I think it's wrong-headed.
Ended up getting a 'Best Of Smash Hits - The 80's' annual - £3! And comes with a free Wham! & John Taylor poster!! Also got 'The Devil Wears Prada' on DVD for £3. Bargained up big time baby!
Felt like a shoplifter when I left.
But that might just have been the security alarms going off.

Also went to WHSmith (boy, when I paint the town red it stays red!) and there right next to all the books on 'Travel', 'Cookery', 'Art' etc there now exists a fantastic new section;

A sub-heading is born.

Off to the Royal Albert Hall tomorrow to see the imperious Goldfrapp. Big update pending. All excited? I know I am!

2 comments:

A. said...

ohmygoodness, love!

i have tears streaming down my face. i dont think i have laughed this hard in ages (!)

hahaha. you have the best sense of humour.

on the topic of "black movies" (lol) i would have never suspected there'd be something like that in london - here in america - yes, you get it all the time. i dont understand what its there for either...it should all be mixed in my opinion, that way everyone feels equal.

nevertheless - it was fooking hilarous!

& how lucky are you that you can just pop into a random music store & purchase the latest frapp single? sigh. id give anything for it to be that way on my side of the pond - im sick & tired of ordering. (those p&p charges will be the death of me)

anyways, have loads & loads & loads of fun for me at RAH, darling! save that cette fille spot for me, no?

cant wait for the review.

kisses xxxx

Anonymous said...

Haha I had seen that in WHS. It made me laugh to see Tony Blair's biography in there!